Although it was built in 1925, the building wasn’t named “The EGG” until the 21st century. So how did this intriguing name originate? The history of this distinct name reveals its secret…
A PROJECT AHEAD OF ITS TIME
In 2006, the CCB (Creative Club of Belgium), an association bringing together the brightest creative minds from advertising agencies, had a dream: to create a meeting place where all agencies could get together and mingle. Known internally as “The EGG”, this building was the communication hub, a place where ideas could be hatched.
It was a derelict, bankrupt building located in Rue Bara that had charmed Alain Heureux, entrepreneur, visionary and co-founder of the project. He saw that “The Brick”, as he liked to call it, had great potential. That was when something clicked. He realised that the project had to breathe new life into the building, both inside and out.
The project went far beyond breaking down silos in the communications sector; it also aimed to revitalise the entire building, develop the area around Brussels South Station, and support entrepreneurship. In 2008, the project was given the go-ahead. Renovation work began.
A MODEL FOR BELGIUM, AN INSPIRATION FOR EUROPE
The EGG adventure has transcended borders, inspiring our neighbours. At the time, The EGG was positioned as one of the first business incubators of its kind, offering an unconventional meeting place for a multitude of professions and cultures in a once-neglected neighbourhood. It was a pioneering project!
In 2014, a new era began for the venue, marked by a new positioning: a modular and creative conference center, run by d-side venues, based on the enlightened vision of Gilles Poot Baudier.
Since then, The EGG has proudly retained its name and its essence: in a place where everything had to be built from scratch, there stands The EGG.
The venue’s upper floor still serves as a start-up incubator, whereas the ground floor is for a variety of conferences and events.